Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why Do I Need a Pastor?

I've decided to work on writing a blog post about a passage, verse, or topic from every Book in the biblical canon. For today's blog, I decided focus is on the Book of Leviticus. And instead of quoting a verse or passage from the Book, I've chosen to quote Luther on Leviticus. Luther says:

"The special topic of the third book [Leviticus] is the appointment of the priesthood, with the statutes and laws according to which the priests are to act and to teach the people. There we see that a priestly office is instituted only because of sin, to disclose sin to the people and to make atonement before God, so that its entire function is to deal with sin and sinners."

Upon reading this quote, I'm instantly reminded of people asking a version of the question, "Why do I need a Pastor?" Growing up in the church and never really questioning the Office of the Keys, it hasn't always been easy for me to answer this question when asked. But Luther makes it clear that Leviticus makes it clear that we do indeed need pastors. "Why?" Because of sin. "Huh?" We're sinful. "Oh yeah, I know that, but what does that have to do with me needing a pastor?" The Office of the Holy Ministry was instituted by God  in order to show people their sins clearly and to make atonement for said sins before God. In the stead and by the command of Jesus Christ, a pastor makes our sins known to us and forgives us in the Name of Jesus. So I reckon the better question would be, "Why would anyone not want a Pastor?"

-- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment