Monday, February 27, 2012

Paul was Wrong. I'm the Chief of Sinners.

Chief of sinners though I be, Jesus shed His blood for me
Died that I might live on high, Lives that I might never die.
As the branch is to the vine, I am His and He is mine. (LSB 611:1)


The Law and the Gospel practically leap off the page of my LSB as I sing these words, penned by William McComb, inspired by the Apostles Paul and John. In this Lenten season, and in all seasons for that matter, it is right for me to be continuously reminded that I am the foremost of sinners. I know Paul claimed it was he, but I beg to differ. My wayward heart strays more than I would like to mention. But Jesus... He shed His blood.... for me! I was reminded of my rank among sinners last Wednesday when my forehead was marked with ashes... Ashes that eventually faded. But the Gospel never shall. He found me when I sought Him not. All my sins He chose to blot. His Body's the bread. His Blood is the wine. I am His and He is mine.

-- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment