Monday, February 13, 2012

Search Me

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way."
 --Psalm 139:23-24 (NASB)

Often, I have anxiety about whether or not I've sinned against the LORD in a way I haven't realized. This passage makes me feel like the Psalmist had the same anxious thoughts. "What if something I've prayed isn't right? What if something I've prayed is sinful?" So he says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart... And see if there be any hurtful way in me." This is the kind of humble heart I wish to have. When I confess my sins, I follow the Psalmist's example, and pray for the LORD to forgive not only the sins I've confessed, but also the ones I've failed to confess, and the ones I don't even know I've committed. And even though I remember not some of the sins I've so heinously committed, I know that I'm forgiven. And I think the Psalmist experienced the same relief. God has searched me, He knows my heart, He has seen the hurtful ways in me..... And I am forgiven. Not by anything I've done... But by the Blood of the Lamb. Praise be to God.

--Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment