Monday, March 19, 2012

An Eternal Weight of Glory

"For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
-- 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (NASB)


It's abundantly easy for me to focus on my present sufferings. So often I find myself complaining about a class I don't like, a paper I'm writing, or another type of momentary affliction. But so little do I find myself contemplating the weight of glory that awaits me in the future. It's so far beyond all comparison that my petty struggles seem meaningless. The things unseen are eternal, while the things seen (the paper sitting in front of me, the notes I don't understand on the board) are only temporal. Why dwell on these things? It's easy for us to do. But instead, why not dwell on our sinless Savior; the one who will make all things new; the one who bore the weight of sin so that someday we might have glory; the one who is eternal.

-- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment