Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rejoice in Guilt and Sorrow

"I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us."
-- 2 Corinthians 7:9 (NASB)


The LORD gave us all consciences for a reason. If we felt no guilt or sorrow from sinning boldly, we very well may have no desire to repent. God could have made us feel no shame from sinning, but then we would not do as He commands: repent. As Jeremiah 31:33 says, God wrote His Law on our hearts. He put His Law within us so that even the illiterate, the uneducated, and the plain lazy among us would know right from wrong. I thank the LORD for my conscience. Without it, my heart would neither be repentant nor contrite as I approach His Table for the Sacrament. Surely, God must be mercy... God is mercy.

-- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment