Saturday, January 21, 2012

Respect the Name

"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain."
--Exodus 20:7 (NASB)


One commandment that society, and even sometimes the church today, takes all too lightly is the Second. I'm guilty of taking this one lightly too, and there's no excuse for it. We wouldn't sit idly by as our friends or family became involved in robbery or murder. So when we hear people say, "Oh my [insert the name of the one who gave us life and salvation here]," why do we do nothing? We have allowed God's name to be cheapened among men. Most people say they don't even realize they say the LORD's name in this way.... I guess that's why it's in vain. Now, to my shame, I too have misused God's holy and precious name. I have no excuse. I have also sat on my taxi and ignored when people I love commit the same blasphemy. It's pitiful. The Psalmist says, "For they speak against You wickedly, And Your enemies take Your name in vain."(Psalm 139:20). By speaking the LORD's name as we would speak a four-letter curse word makes us like one of God's enemies. Why on earth would we, as Christians, tolerate this? I encourage all of you reading this blog (as well as the one writing it) to do as Matthew says in 18:15-20 and show your neighbor his fault in private, and ask him to do the same for you, but always with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15). And if your neighbor shows you your fault, remember Proverbs 13:18. "He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."

-- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment