Friday, January 20, 2012

Single and Ready to Mingle

Fellow Christians,

I know that you are probably sitting there reading and wondering the same thing as me. How is it that a six foot three, young ginger Lutheran, with dashing good looks is single on a campus where he is out womaned? Okay, maybe you were not wondering that before, but certainly you are now. Let me tell you, it is not easy dealing with the lonesomeness of being single. God Himself says in Genesis 2:18, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.' I am not saying that God does not bless anyone with the gift of celibacy, He certainly does. But for those who are not blessed with such a gift it can be frustrating to be alone. It is alright though because we may rest assured that God does not want us to remain in that state.

Hymn 770 in the Lutheran Service Book, 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus' is a comforting text for me to look at when I am burdened with any tribulations. The first stanza is as follows:
'What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs
to bear! What a privilege to carry Everything to God in
prayer! Oh, what peace we often forfeit; Oh, what need-
less pain we bear- All because we do not carry Everything
to God in prayer!
This hymn is quite frank in saying that we should bring every concern we have to the Lord. The scripture this is based on is Matthew 7:7-8 which begins, 'Ask and it will be given to you.' So I urge all you single readers out there to pray. Pray for your future spouse, even though you may not yet know them, and pray also for your fellow bachelors and bachelorettes that their lonely days may end soon as well. To those of you who do have a significant other make prayers of thanksgiving and also prayers on behalf of your single brothers and sisters. Pray without ceasing!

So here I sit scribbling away or rather typing all by myself on a Friday night, pondering on how much longer I will walk this lonely road. It ain't easy when you have so much going for you. I mean who wouldn't like a cross country running, Lutheran essentials reading, handsome as sin strawberry blonde young chap. I guess this one goes out to you dear Katie*, when will you come be my lady?

-- Matthias

*For those who don't know Katie is a term used affectionately referring to single Lutheran lasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment